Fishing is a fantastic hobby. The thrill of having a big catch on your line and the excitement of trying to reel it in is surely a great experience. One challenge of fishing is that you can’t always do it on a whim – sometimes you need to make the necessary preparations in order to get to your fishing destinations, especially considering that many fishing destinations are only accessible by plane.
Some of the world’s best fishing spots are unfortunately also some of the toughest places to get to. Thankfully, planning a fishing trip to these destinations is possible by way of private flight. Enjoying a safe, convenient and often direct charter flight in anticipation of experiencing some of the best fishing spots will surely excite any fishing enthusiast.
Here are some of the top fishing destinations that you can get to almost exclusively by plane.
- Iliamna Lake and Rainbow Bay Resort, Alaska – Alaska is well known for its great fishing spots, but it does come with some challenges in getting there. Rainbow Bay Resort, which is located in Iliamna Lake, has become increasingly popular as a rich and diverse fishing spot where you can find all five species of pacific salmon, arctic char and northern pike, among others. You can only get to Lake Iliamna by plane because the one-lane road in that does exist is not for general purpose use.
- Silsby Lake Lodge, Canada – Located 450 miles north of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Silsby Lake Lodge is another world-class fishing destination that you can only get to by plane. It is well known for its trophy pike and walleye fishing. The lodge is filled with fishermen who want to experience hooking these huge fish, and chances are they won’t have to wait very long until they have a chance to do so. The lodge offers great amenities and accommodations which will surely make your stay a memorable one.
- North Spirit Lake, Canada – Another Canadian fishing destination that you can only get to by plane is North Spirit Lake. Made popular because of the large population of huge walleye, North Spirit Lake will certainly give you an experience that you will never forget. You can fish for some of the biggest walleye you’ve ever seen, some of which grow to trophy size. North Spirit Lake definitely is a top fishing spot that you can only get to by plane.
- El Salto Lake, Mexico – If you are searching for an exotic fishing trip, then taking a private jet charter to Mexico to go to El Salto Lake is something that you should definitely try. With the backdrop of the scenic Sierra Madre, fishermen are treated to some of the best trophy bass fishing in Mexico.
- San Cristobal Island, Galapagos – Galapagos was made popular by Charles Darwin, but it has also become a hotspot for fishermen looking for a big catch. Darwin was indeed right in choosing the Galapagos Islands for his studies as it is very rich in wildlife and the fish you can find there help make it a great fishing spot too. You would need to book a private jet charter to San Cristobal Island in the Galapagos to experience some of the best black and blue marlin fishing in the world. It may be a long way from home, but it certainly is worth it once you have a huge marlin on your line.
- Grand Bahama, Bahamas – Though a little closer to the United States than some of the international fishing destinations on this list, you would still need to take a plane in order to reach Grand Bahama, which is the northernmost island of the Bahamas. Here you can find Pelican Bay which is a great spot for bonefishing. A seasonal population of permit and tarpon can also be found around this beautiful fishing island making it a great place to go to for some serious fishing.
- Punta Burica, Panama – Yet another international destination that you can only get to by way of a plane is Punta Burica, Panama. Here you can find a very rich variety of fish for you to take on, such as black marlin, blue marlin, amberjack, sailfish, yellow fin tuna, cubera snapper and many more. You just have to choose the right season for your fish of choice and you’ll surely have a great time on your great fishing vacation in Punta Burica.
So there you have it, a list of some top fishing destinations best accessible by plane. Of course, when you consider the remote nature of these destinations along with all of the gear you’ll need, we think a private jet charter is the best way to go, but regardless of how you fly there, you should go!